Thursday 29 January 2009

A Prize in the Post

The lovely Laura of Robson&Mason Haberdashery picked my Credit Crunch Sampler as one of the winners in Folksy's "Make the News" competition earlier this month... and today my prize arrived from Folksy HQ, accompanied by one of the awesome Folksy rulers:My prize is "Beautiful Knits for Heads, Hands and Toes" - which seems to be one of those books where traditional items have been made to look modern by using models with piercings and wearing trendy clothes... but it seems to cover lots of really useful basics and I've already seen a couple of things I fancy making, so it should prove very useful. Definitely a great prize to get at the start of my year of improving my knitting skills and tackling patterns!

Coincidentally, Laura is also learning to knit this year... and several of my Flickr friends have also recently caught the knitting bug. Is it the long cold winter that's got us all knitting nice cosy things? or is it the recession? or is is 2009 secretly national year of knitting and I have just not been told?

10 comments:

Rhiannon said...

Wha ta lovely looking book - although I know what you mean about dressing things up with piercings - there's a couple I've seen that do that

It could be national year of knitting, although we've both been kept in the dark if that's the case! I'm not learning to knit, but learning to knit better! I think though its like my mum says, and the cold winter nights make us all long for something warm and fluffy to play with

Have fun exploring the new patterns
x

Bagladee said...

great prize!!! congrats.

Anonymous said...

I think it's a near year's resolution for many people - we had 100+ people Tuesday night for Stitch & Bitch night ... if we had space we could have easily accommodated about 200 more RSVPs!

Jo said...

That's a great prize!
I don't know about the year of knitting, but a couple of friends and I are about to start a knitting circle. I've knitted 3 pairs of fingerless mitts & a pair of baby's booties so far, and I've just started a hat! I think it's the cold and that 'make do and mend' idea.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on winning! I love Folksy!

Anonymous said...

2009 is my year of knitting to. I learnt when I was a kid but I'm relearning now. Currently on scarf 4 of 2009 and would like to venture onto socks.

louise35flower said...

Great prize congratulations!.
Does crochet count? I can't knit cos I get cramps in my hands but found I can crochet fine! There's no stopping me now!

Knit Sew City Girl said...

Ooohhhh. Nice book! Congratulations on winning.

It appears that everyone is knitting. I went to a knitting group yesterday and it was absolutely packed. There were a few knitter sitting on the floor.

Will blog about it later.

Mary

Cat McLaughlin said...

It does seem like loads of folks are taking up the hobby, which is fab! I gather it is actually the International Year of Natural Fibres though :)

Anonymous said...

I just saw this post!!!!


Is that book you won any good? I would love to knit berets as i collect them,

Thanks for the mention, The knitting is going well i think, I must write some more soon.

Right, back to work..... :)