Friday 6 December 2019

Felt Doves: Sew Pretty Bird Ornaments for Your Christmas Tree

UPDATE:  I originally shared this project with my newsletter subscribers, it's now available as a printable PDF pattern in my Etsy shop!

---  

Learn to sew some pretty felt doves...

 
 
 

The doves tutorial includes a step-by-step guide to sewing the ornaments, and templates for two sizes of the birds.

 

You can stitch plain white doves or add embellishments for extra loveliness. The bigger doves are particularly great to decorate as there's more space to work with!

I added sequins and beads, and also embroidered one of the doves' wings with some snowflakes.

 

I love how all of the doves I stitched turned out, but I'm particularly pleased with the snowflake one!

The ornaments are double sided, so you make two sides that are a mirror image of each other. Here's an in-progress pic of one of the sequinned doves:




P.S. I talk about these designs as being Christmas craft projects, but of course you don't need to celebrate Christmas to want to sew a sparkly dove! If you're not a lover of Christmas I hope you'll forgive my linguistic habit and stitch yourself some felt birds anyway xx

8 comments:

Jeri said...

I just found this post thru Pinterest - do you still offer the template & tutorial on making the dove ornaments? I didn't find it in your archives.

Bugs and Fishes said...

Hi Jeri, this was a project I shared with my newsletter subscribers! I'm planning on adding it to my shop later this year though (hopefully this month) so watch this space! :)

Jeri said...

Oh, too bad I missed it. I'm making ornaments now to be ready when the tree goes up in 2 weeks! The doves are too cute!!

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks, Jeri! I hope you'll have fun stitching your ornaments xx

Nitwit said...

On 6th December you write that the Robin and Dive patterns will be available to new subscribers to download for one month. I subscribed today. How do I find the download please?

Bugs and Fishes said...

Hello there! This project was shared with my subscribers in December 2019! I'll be sending out some new festive patterns very soon though xx

Nitwit said...

I have now bought the pattern on Etsy and can’t wait to make them! Could you please tell me if I am allowed to sell them?

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks so much for your order! :) I'm happy for you to use any PDF patterns bought from my shop to make items for sale (patterns here on my blog are for personal use only xx)