Sunday 11 January 2009

Everyday Pattern

I've been clearing out a few kitchen cupboards recently in a general spring-cleaning sort of a way: getting rid of a few of our more random student-y bits and pieces and several of those gadgets, glasses & dishes with terribly specific jobs that we just never use...

I now (finally) have room for that lush set of floral crockery I acquired back in November and have been able to get rid of many boring everyday mis-matched dinner-plates and replace them with these patterned lovelies which had been long-neglected in the back of a cupboard:
My fellow vintage crockery geeks may wish to know that these plates are stamped "Doverstone, Staffordshire, England" and the pattern is "Canadiana". They are lovely and solid, perfect for bashing about in the washing up bowl on a daily basis. Another of my charity shop finds, the plates have matching tea plates, bowls and this excellently chunky teapot:
It's nice to have a bit more pattern in our everyday dining, and I think the "new" plates go rather nicely with the swirly Bilton ones we're also using at the moment....
... inherited from my parents who after years of eating off these opted for something nice and plain in cream! :)

11 comments:

Tumus said...

those are very nice ^_^ You find some great stuff in you charity shops. Things are rather picked over in our State because of the economy.

I'm glad to see people finding new uses for older things though ^_^

Anonymous said...

That dish combo couldn't have worked out better had it been planned - very nice!

Splinter said...

These patterns look fantastic! Must be a pleasure to use the dishes!

ms. teacakes said...

the patterns are so pretty and cute! and i really love the fat little teapot

kelly said...

that sparks off such memories, my parents had the very same plates (as your bottom pic)think they only have one or two left now,

BlueTerracotta said...

Beautiful patterns!

Anonymous said...

...methinks you could perchance find some inspiration for new broaches in those patterns on the first plate... i think they lend themselves very well to your style of working if you think of them in negative/positive repeat sense...with spring colours perhaps?..just a thought..

Sarah and Jon said...

Ooo lovely!

My parents had the Bilton set as one of their wedding presents, and I've long had my eyes on it...

Swirlyarts said...

What a fabulous set! And both sets go together beautifully!

Dee said...

These are also fab, I think i must add you to my blog roll.

Jo said...

Great pattern! It's started to give me an idea for a pendant...