Sunday 25 January 2009

Here's One I Made Earlier

My super-simple scarf got quite a bit longer last night thanks to a nice chilled evening spent watching rubbish films and knit knit knitting with the giant yarn-egg sitting on the sofa with us like a cat.

I have made some scarves before, during a brief bit of knitting-enthusiasm whilst at University. This was before knitting became anything like being "cool" and most of my friends looked at me like I was a crazy old woman, but I managed to knit four whole scarves before I lost interest and took up some other activity (it was probably baking: I baked a lot of cakes at Uni).

Rather marvelously, at least two of the scarves are still in regular use. I wear my "test" scarf all the time (sometimes even whilst knitting!) and feel very proud of it despite all the dropped stitches and other dodgy looking sections. My sister wears hers too... ... she requested something "sparkly" and got it, thanks to some lovely silver-threaded black yarn from John Lewis. This was definitely a good lesson in how it pays to invest in special yarn, as people ask her all the time where she got it and they cannot possibly be commenting on my knitting skills!

6 comments:

Rhiannon said...

I too have started knitting at uni, although I balance it equally with a ridiculous amount of baking, so hopefully it won't fall out of favour with me too soon (especially as my mum is providing me with two bags of oddments next weekend!)

I love the black sparkly wool - I've seen a rowan yarn thats quite similar ever time I go into posh wool shops and just drool with envy!

x

Knit Sew City Girl said...

Hi! What a lovely sparkly black scarve. I really like it. I agree that at the end of the day it is really all about the yarn.

Baking is cool too.

Have a nice week.

Mary

Anonymous said...

Beautiful scarf! I love knitting but I'm absolutely unable to create simething interesting... Which kind of stitch did you use for this scarf (and the purple one on flickr)?
Thanks!
oh, and thank you for the MARVELLOUS gift wrap ideas, very useful for last Christmas.
Valeria
ps: sorry for my English, write from Italy. :)

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks Valeria! :)

This scarf and the purple one were both knitted with big needles (to make the stitches large and loose) and using rib stitch - so alternating 2 plain, 2 purl, 2 plain, 2 purl, etc to get a ribbed effect.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Laura, You are so kind!
It seems a very particular stitch, but I'm happy to know that it's such a simple one that I can made myself without becoming crazy. I'll try as soon as possible. Thanks again for explaining me the trick. Sorry again for my bad English.
Valeria

Bugs and Fishes said...

No problem Valeria! You might find these helpful:

http://www.learn2knit.co.uk/knitting/basic-stitches.php

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/51802_scarf-knitting-rib-stitch.htm