Sunday 21 September 2014

Lino Printing at The Handmade Fair with Zeena Shah

I had a very fun day out on Friday at The Handmade Fair - a new, crafty fair with a focus on learning and making. One of the lovely bloggers I bumped into described it as being "like a crafty festival" and it really was, with lots of tents for workshops and talks plus shopping and eating... lots of famous faces from the world of craft and sewing... and lots of bunting! :)

I'll be blogging about the day later this week, but in the meantime here are some snaps from the workshop I attended: lino printing with Zeena Shah.

I'd never tried lino printing before so I was quite excited to give it a go at the Fair - although I was a teeny bit nervous about using the sharp lino cutting tool! Me + sharp objects = usually a bad combination.

We started by drawing a design we wanted to print. I had a bit of creative block but I eventually settled on a simple star design and drew it onto my lino. 


Then we carved out our designs, leaving raised areas where we wanted to print and cutting away the sections that would be white space. The lino was easier to carve than I expected but still quite hard work after a while (I suspect lino cutters elbow might be a thing!) and you had to be very careful with the cutting tool as it was indeed very sharp - as proven by one of the ladies on my table who cut herself (ouch!)


It was really fun to see the design gradually appearing in the lino and really nice sitting and chatting with the other ladies as we worked. We laughed about the mistakes we were making, admired each others designs and talked about the things we'd done at the Fair earlier that day.

My design was finally finished...


... just in time for me to do a couple of prints before the workshop ended.


I used too little paint (oops) then a too much (double oops) then my third print was just right. Hurrah!


Trying new crafty things = so much fun!

If you'd like to try lino printing, Zeena runs lots of lino printing workshops.

Disclosure: I attended The Handmade Fair as a guest of the organisers who sent me a free ticket.

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

I did Lino printing in highschool, and I loved it. It was just so rewarding. If I had access to a press I'd make cards all the time!

Anonymous said...

I went a bit mad and had two whole days at the Handmade fair (friday and saturday) -it was such a lovely day out!! Really great to read some other blogger's posts on their experiences too - i also took part in the lino print workshop and absolutely loved it. if you'd like to check out my day have a look at www.crafternooncabaretclub.com xx

Bugs and Fishes said...

Alyssa - we used little rollers instead of a press for our prints, it was fun :)

creativise - Two days? Ooh, I am quite jealous :) Lovely to read your posts about the Fair!