Wednesday 11 March 2009

Floral Prototypes

Quite often, I get an idea in my head and sketch a few things out but can't make much progress with the designs until I "try things out in felt" - see how the shapes actually fit together, and test out the colour combinations for real by making a prototype or two.

At the moment I'm working on ideas for flower brooches:The combination of soft lilac felt petals, pretty turquoise felt button and lovely embroidery thread is making me swoon slightly! I'll be tweaking this design a little and working out some other colour combinations (oh, what fun it is to sit around playing with colour!) and *fingers crossed* this should be in my shops soon as a brooch and maybe a hairband too.

The pink flower is still very much an idea in progress - revisiting the layered flowers I made last year. It's taking me a while to recreate the 'perfect' flower I can see in my head, but I'll get there eventually...

16 comments:

LPFish said...

nice! I am really liking the lilac especially. I am working on flower bobby pins and mushroom key rings - i feel the same way - seeing the colour of the felt and embroidery silks and the way colour compliments, mmmmm x

*Sweet*Caroline* said...

Those flowers are gorgeous!

Sabine

Tumus said...

LOL i love embroidery thread too. You'll find it just as addicting as felt if you haven't already ^_^ Nice use of your buttons there too.

Meaghan said...

Hello Lupin! I just wanted to let you know that I included an image of your poppy pin in pink on my blog today, in a post about the miracle that is FELT! Thank you so much for being a constant inspiration...and also, I love your supplies (I've purchased a bit myself!). Direct link to the post @ Queering Domesticity!

Laura said...

I love the flowers! Turquoise is one of my favourite colours. :)

Odds and Blobs said...

oh these look fantastic!!

MegPS said...

ooh lovely! - perfect for spring.

Jennifer Rose said...

very pretty flowers, the purple one is gorgeous :)

Jenny said...

Love, love, LOVE the purple one! :) Let us know when it's available in your shop.

Pair of Writers said...

Love the flowers! Looks like Spring, which is a welcome sight.

Always fun to see what you come up with - your mind must be a busy place!

Jeanne M. Wigoena said...

sweet colors!! love your brooches..

Anonymous said...

Hi from Austin, TX! Just wanted to let you know I received my orange flower bracelet and am wearing it today. It's a dreary day here so it's brightening things up. Thanks!!

mary grace said...

love these :) you should check out ViolonJello's blog & shop... she makes flowers along the same type of lines. very cool! http://violonjello.typepad.com/all_manner_of_lovely_thin/flowers

Bugs and Fishes said...

Lauren - glad to hear you're enjoying the bracelet! :)

Mary Grace - yes, ViolonJello makes such lush bouquets, doesn't she? Great colour combos always.

Rhiannon said...

Lovely! The lilac is definately my favourite of the pair

(in other news, I've nearly made something with the felt I bought!)

xx

Deb (Two Cheeky Monkeys) said...

These flowers are so pretty! I love your use of the felt button as the centre, it's a great touch!