Tuesday 10 March 2009

Strange Obsession

I continue to sort through boxes of my stuff, clearing things out and tidying and having a bit of a rearrange as we spring clean the house ... and in the back of one cupboard I found my stash of weirdly-shaped cardboard packaging:I am totally obsessed with them, and I don't know why! There's just something about those peculiar moulded shapes ... despite being designed to be purely functional and support an assortment of electrical equipment etc in their boxes, I think some of them look pretty fab and just cannot bear to send them for recycling.Instead, I very much want to paint them and display them properly somewhere. These two are my favourites - I've carted them round with me for years, and they were spray painted at one point by a flat mate who objected to just having cardboard on the wall:We are rapidly running out of wall space, but I'm sure I'll find room for them somewhere...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also think these are rather brilliantly interesting. My hubbie objects to the strange things I keep just because I find the interesting!

Marci Simonini said...

Its these odd obsessions that make us unique individuals, what a boring world it would be without them. Good for you for re-purposing something others wouldn't think twice about.

Iris said...

I think you should have them coated in ceramic or metal (if that's possible) and use them for baking tins! How cool would that be to have a cake or muffins in those shapes!!

Julie said...

sorry, came upon your post late...anyway, those are great shapes! what if you filled them with plaster of paris and made molds that way...or just decorated with the plaster casts? i think that could be an awesome grouping of interesting shapes (but you'd ruin the original cardboard in the process, i expect.)

MANUZ said...

I have the same obsesssion for years myself!! :D Good to find someone else that has it also.

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Glad it's not just me who likes these things :)

Susannesblogg said...

Jag gör alltid som dig när jag får hem elektriska prylar. Där finns oftast skapar material att spara och använda.

Bugs and Fishes said...

Yup, electrical stuff is the best for weird packaging shapes! :)