Sunday 22 March 2009

Potted Pleasures

More sunshine today, and a lovely afternoon spent making a big compost-y mess out on the balcony re-potting some pot plants and sorting out some cuttings...

Pink 'Flaming Katy':

Vintage pots in lush bold colours:Another vintage pot (love that blue) plus some slightly battered crockery put to good use for growing cuttings - a set of Hornsea storage jars and a blue&white china trio:Another trio in the bathroom, accompanied by a giant mama Christmas Cactus & her strangely purple offspring:I love using those old chipped teacups for growing plants - it's so nice having them be "useful" instead of sitting neglected in the back of a cupboard. I first used one last year to grow a tiny jade cutting that's now grown up to be this fellow:I'm so proud! :)

8 comments:

Librarian Lee said...

how beautiful! would you mind sharing how you make cuttings for the jade?

Bugs and Fishes said...

I don't do anything scientific - just whenever I have to cut the plant back or accidentally knock a leaf off, I cut the leaves neatly and stick 'em in a small pot of soil and wait and see if something happens! I'm sure if you google for tips you can find a much better method :)

Tumus said...

That Christmas cactus is really rad! Nice coloring ^_^ My tulips and daffodils are sprouting up so fast now they're so pretty. Even my lillies are poking up new sprouts.

Rhiannon said...

Very lovely - the teacup use is shut a cool idea

congrats on how much the baby jade has grown - I wouldn't have been able to make it last a week, let alone a whole year!

Kim said...

Where do you find your pots? They are beautiful and I LOVE indoor plants but have yet to find pots like these. Any advice? Thanks and keep up the great blog!

Bugs and Fishes said...

Some of them were inherited and most are from second hand shops - I only see ones I like occasionally but I keep my eye out! Oh, and the white ones are from IKEA :)

Jo said...

You would love my parents house - they have a blua and brown stripy pot exactly the same as that, and a set of those tea/coffee/sugar pots. I've got my eye on them.....

Drea said...

you should be proud!! they are beautiful!