Sunday 19 February 2012

A Rainbow of Embroidery Thread

I finished winding all my embroidery thread onto those cardboard bobbins...



Next came the fun part: sorting it into colour order to make an embroidery thread rainbow!



The rainbow is pretty (oh so pretty!) but also practical as I can see at a glance what colours I've got in my stash.


If you fancy organising your own embroidery thread stash, I've added some boxes to the craft supplies section on my website. There are large boxes...



... and small ones too:



Each box comes with lots of card bobbins for winding your thread, but I've also got packs of card and plastic bobbins you can buy separately if you fancy organising your threads neatly but already have a box to keep them in.

Over in my Etsy shop you can buy sets of boxes + embroidery thread: a large box & 72 skeins of thread, or a small box and 36 skeins of thread. Here's one I wound earlier:


12 comments:

Lilyshaw said...

Amazingly practical, all the pretty colours!

Swirlyarts said...

I've done this with mine and they do look fab and are much, much easier to use. However, I keep getting new threads from the scrapstore so my 'to wind' pile is now huge!

Kate said...

Looks so nice - organized and very pretty. I understand that there is an automatic bobbin winder available now for winding the floss onto the cardboard bobbins ... what next, lol!!

Anna said...

Ooh, how pretty! My embroidery threads are a big mess but I don't think I'll ever be that organised!

Anonymous said...

They look so lovely!

Tumus said...

I love opening mine and looking at all the colors ^_^ I once had a goal to collect ALL the DMC thread colors but I'd probably have about 4 big boxes of thread if I did that. As of now I only have 2 and that's plenty!

Charlotte said...

omg! drooooool!!!!!

Lissa (Bellenza) said...

You are so amazingly organized! Your stash of threads alone looks lovely. :-)

Kandi said...

I need to organise my threads this week too. That full box is a little work of art in it's own right!
Kandi x

Catalina said...

Very nice indeed! I used to keep mine in one of those boxes, but decided to "upgrade" to the plastic bobbins + metal clip ring. This backfired on me, because now they get unraveled, and I have a ring of messy, "hairy" threads all over the place.
I might need to go back to the box organizing again.

Unknown said...

That's a lot of lovely colours! i've done the same but keep my bobbins the other way up, but I might go home and turn them all over so I can see the colours better! i don't know why I never did that in the first place!

Bugs and Fishes said...

Swirlyarts - yeah, I expect I'll end up with quite a few threads in the "to wind" pile when I buy some more. This lot should last me for a while though :)

I am AMAZED at how much easier it is to find the perfect thread colour for my project / easily use my stash since I organised it like this. Plus every time I get the box out it makes me smile!