Monday 23 January 2012

Another Old Project

You've probably noticed a bit of an "old works-in-progress" theme developing on my blog this month...

I've been sorting through lots of boxes over the past few weeks - decluttering a bit, re-organising all my crafty stuff so I can store it neatly in my new studio, and taking a long hard look at neglected old projects to work out how best to breathe new crafty life into them.


These stripey fabric panels were in the same under-the-spare-bed suitcase as the half-finished quilt.

I made them when I was about 18 I think, and they may have been planned as cushions or perhaps just textile-y bits of art to decorate my room, who knows? I remember making them, but not what I was actually making them for!


There's three of them - a large blue one (about 56cm / 22inches wide) and two smaller white and pink ones (33cm / 13 inches wide). Each piece is a plain bit of fabric, decorated with strips of fabric, ribbons, trimmings, beads, buttons, pieces of felt and other crafty stuff, all hand stitched in place to form a stripe-y pattern.


The blue and white one also includes stripes made from bubble-wrap and a piece of j-cloth, which I think my 18 year old self probably thought was really really cool. 

I probably pulled the same face looking at those particular sections as my mother no doubt did all those years ago when I waved it at her enthusiastically. Ah, I'm getting so old!


As with the old quilt, I have a whole bundle of mixed emotions about these and am very unsure about what (if anything) I should do with them. I'm going to put them aside and think about it for a while, but any suggestions would be very welcome :)

14 comments:

Scented Sweetpeas said...

ooh they would make lovely purses, cushions or bags, not sure how big they are :-)

Victoria said...

Its good to look at past (unfinished) projects and see further development in them rather than sticking them back under the bed! What about turning your strips into bunting or panels on a cushion?

Love reading your blog, thanks for posting!

Victoria

Katie said...

The J cloth looks like stripy washi tape - very on-trend!

They'd probably make nice stuffed scented wardrobe hangers, if the appearance isn't really to your taste to have out on display?

famfa said...

I think they look really cool. I 'm sure they will look good whatever you make

PetraB said...

They are so cool, I could easily see them as some cool vintage type bags or some wall art with some embellishments.

Kat Shenton said...

Cushion covers spring to my mind.

Whatever you decide no doubt they will look great!

Unknown said...

These are lovely, I agree that cushions would be lovely!

jen said...

what about some kind of journal or sketch book cover - turn past projects into future ones? x

kjsutcliffe said...

Block frame - just as they are, they look like artwork and hanging on the wall, both vertically, would look pretty amazing :)

Swirlyarts said...

How about little coin purses? Do you know any little girls you could give them to as gifts for Christmas? My girls (8 and 5) love little purses and the fabric looks perfect for them, especially with the sequins etc.

Things Hand Made said...

I have just had a big clear out as well and found half finished things and like I you I put them aside to decide what to do with them but no I am concerned they will end up under the bed agin and nothing will quite happen with them!

Anonymous said...

hello laura. The material is lovely and fresh looking i was thinking decorated notebooks.i do this with just plain notebooks and i decorate them with pretty papers and different embleshiments such as decoupage images and felt flowers. you could use them as a panel on your notebooks and then have a material stiched flower square in the centre.

Tatkis said...

Those projects look fantastic! So beautiful!

Hugs,
Tatyana

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone - they are HUGELY appreciated! I will be sure to post about whatever I end up using these for :)

Things Hand Made - I am a bit worried about that, but luckily I currently don't have a spare bed to put them on the they will have to stay in a see-through crate in my studio instead, where I will hopefully see them and pay them much more attention. Well, that's the plan, anyway!