Wednesday 7 September 2011

Tiny Flowers

Ah, I had such grand plans for this week. I'd get up early! and be so efficient! and tick so many tasks off my to do lists! Alas, it was not to be. Instead, I've been feeling a bit ill and my schedule has been rearranged to fit in lots of tea-drinking, sofa-sitting, tv-watching, etc.

I may not be being super-efficient, but one of the "perks" of my job is that there are always simple tasks I can do even when camped on the sofa feeling groggy.

Yesterday's crafty task? Cutting out lots and lots of teeny tiny felt flowers for my forget-me-not brooches...


... and then sewing them all in position. I cut them all out completely by hand - I don't use a template or a mechanical cutter, I just cut them by eye using a small pair of embroidery scissors.

They take a while, but they're the perfect task to do while watching TV. I cut this batch out while watching Audrey Hepburn in "Sabrina" which amazingly I'd never seen before.

6 comments:

Little Nell said...

I’m amazed that you can cut out by eye. All the shapes looks so uniform. What on earth do you do to prevent blisters from forming on your scissors fingers?

Rie said...

WHAT!!! You cut them all out by hand, by eye... you don't even draw the template on the felt first? MAGIC!!

Kaci said...

Well done! I hate cutting felt flowers you must have some patience!
Just subscribed, I'm new to blogging and just starting out on my own :)

Bugs and Fishes said...

It has taken a lot of practice over the years, but I can get a usable flower about 7 times out of 8. Sometimes I can't manage it at all though and they all come out super-wonky and I just have to try it another day!

I sometimes wear a fabric plaster or two on my fingers to protect them, but mostly I just try to limit the amount I do in one go :)

Ginger said...

Wow...that's amazing, all by eyeing it. My flowers don't come out that nice, but I'm still trying. Now you need to see "Sabrina" with Harrison Ford, the update one. That one is good too.

Bugs and Fishes said...

I shall definitely have to watch that Ginger - I do love a Harrison Ford movie :)