Saturday 31 December 2011

2011 Crafting Review

2011 has been a busy year! Writing my book at the start of the year and moving house in the autumn took up a lot of my time and energy, but I did manage to squeeze a bit of crafting in here and there...

In January I was finishing writing my book so things were a bit quiet on the blogging front and several posts involved secret things I couldn't show you yet. 


When I wasn't working towards my big deadline, I was knitting blanket squares, restocking packaging and sewing designs that sold out during the busy Christmas season



In February I stitched bows, butterflies and birds...


... and made a ring-bearing owl (which later became this plush felt owl tutorial).


In March, I let the cat out of the bag about my book, Super-Cute Felt!


I also worked on a few more secret things (for something I'll hopefully be able to share with you soon!), got quite excited at seeing my bird brooches featured in Country Living, and shared a few tutorials including one inspired by the Royal Wedding.


In April I tidied up my felt stash, stitched lots of poppies and some primroses, and organised my works in progress.

Here on the blog I had a book week, with lots of crafty book reviews and giveaways. I definitely need to remember to do another one of those in 2012!


In May I shared a tutorial for making a pretty felt flower hairband, and stitched flower garden crowns & lots of sunflowers.


I learned to crochet, and selected colours for my first crochet blanket, and took a bit of time off to enjoy the sunshine and drink tea with good friends.


In June I stitched pink flowers, recycled flowers and needlefelted flowers... and shared an old crafty project of mine to make fun bracelets from felt scraps.

My knitting club had a knitting picnic, and I made lots of progress on my giant granny square blanket.  


I got sent an advanced copy of my book (very exciting!) and spent a few happy afternoons sorting through my stash of clippings and sticking the prettiest ones in my scrapbooks.


In July I shared a tutorial for making butterfly napkin rings, and photos of lots of lovely stuff made by my customers (there's a new Show and Tell post coming soon - if you'd like to share what you've been making from my supplies please do get in touch!). I also stitched lots of cherry blossoms...


... and some secret things which, alas, will have to remain secret for a while yet.

In August, I made a barn owl mask, did some knitting, stitched some lavender sachets and stored crafty supplies in some yummy tins. I also went to the Festival of Quilts for the first time, met up with some lovely crafty chums and oohed over many awesome quilts.


Plus my book was published a few weeks early, which was a very nice surprise!


In September I shared tutorials for making candy cane ornaments and vintage-inspired felt baubles, and was delighted to see my coffee cosy design on the cover of the newly published Stash Happy: Felt.


I also cut out lots of teeny tiny flowers, and knitted lots of mini squares.


The end of September and most of October I was busy moving house, but I did manage to do some knitting and to make some thankyou cards ready for Christmas orders.


It was really wonderful being able to host so many fab guest posts while I was busy moving house (thanks everyone!). I also designed & stitched an optimistic sampler: everything is going to be amazing.


In November I hosted lots of lovely giveaways, met lots of UK makers at UK Handmade's 3rd birthday party, and stitched lots of corsages:


I was also thrilled to have all my work stuff set up in my new studio space ready for lots of pre-Christmas parcel packing. It looks very neat and tidy in my studio tour photos but you should have seen it in the weeks running up to the last posting dates for Christmas - total chaos!


It's looking a bit tidier again now, and I'm in the process of choosing prints to hang on the walls & a few other bits and pieces to make the space feel more personal (hurrah!).

December was very busy work-wise but also quite crafty, with projects using chocolate coins, ideas for making scrap gift tags & fun handmade cards, plus tutorials for wallpaper snowflakes, and felt snowflake coasters & ornaments.


I also got a new furry studio assistant, bought yarn to knit a sky blanket in 2012, stitched some gifts, and relaxed with some knitting including this lovely fluffy scarf which was finished just in time to give to my sister for Christmas.


Thanks to everyone who's left a comment on my blog, or just silently followed my crafty adventures this year! Here's to lots more crafty fun in 2012 :)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

You had a wonderful year, happy new year and hope you get everything done in 2012! Kx

homemade@myplace said...

Felice 2012!!!
Love,xxx

Unknown said...

I just received your new book in the mail and LOVE it. I can't wait to make something!!
thanks, dorothy xoxo

Tatlı CaDı said...

Happy New Year 2012.. (^_^)

☼ Carolina ☼ said...

¸☆´.•´
.•´✶`*.
*.*★v . ✶•´ ☆´,•*´¨★ Ձ๏1Ձ
¸✶.•´¸.•*´✶
☆´¸.•★´ ¸.✶* ☆★
╱◥◣
│∩ │◥███◣ ╱◥███◣
╱◥◣ ◥████◣▓∩▓│∩
│╱◥█◣║∩∩∩ ║◥█▓ ▓█
๑۩๑๑۩๑๑۩๑๑۩๑๑۩๑๑۩๑๑۩
۩๑ Feliz Año Nuevo 2012!﹗๑۩
Frohe Weihnachten und Happy New Year
عيد ميلاد سعيد وسنة جديدة سعيدة
Bon Natali je bon annu
Veselé Vánoce a Šťastný Nový Rok
聖誕快樂,新年快樂
Sretan Božić i Nova godina
기쁜 성탄과 새해 복 많이 받으세요
Joyeux Noël et Bonne Année
Buon Natale e Felice Anno Nuovo
God Jul og Godt Nyttår
Wesołych Świąt i Szczęśliwego Nowego Roku
Feliz Natal e Feliz Ano Novo
God Jul och Gott Nytt År
میری کرسمس اور نیا سال مبارک ہو
మెర్రి క్రిస్మస్ మరియు హ్యాపీ న్యూ ఇయర్
สุขสันต์วันคริสต์มาสและปีใหม่

Unknown said...

Sending you New Year Wishes for Health, Happiness, Success and creativity for 2012 xx

Little Nell said...

You’ve had a good year. Here’s hoping 2012 brings you just as much success.

Me, You and Magoo said...

what a lovely round up of your year - best wishes for 2012!

C said...

I just purchased your book yesterday using a holiday gift certificate. It makes me so happy looking at it. Happy New Year to you!

Tatkis said...

What a great year - full of beautiful creations and achievements!
Happy New year - may it would be even better :)

Hugs,
Tatyana

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! and a big yay for people reading my book - I know that the whole point of a craft book is that people buy it and read it and make things from it, but knowing that people are doing that and enjoying it is still very thrilling indeed.

I hope 2012 is wonderful for all of you and filled with lots of crafty goodness xxx