Tuesday 30 August 2011

Simple Sewing

Thanks to some pesky moths, one of my woolly sweaters now has a row of little holes in it! Very annoying.

Luckily it was the only woollen garment being stored in that particular cupboard, but in case the moths decide to go hunting for more delicious knitwear to nibble on I've been speedily sewing a stash of lavender sachets to keep them at bay.


Dried lavender from my mother's garden + some bits of old pillowcases found in my scrap box + a few hours watching old movies = lots of simple sachets to stick in cupboards, drawers and suitcases under the bed. I've also sewn a couple with ribbon loops attached so I can hang them in my wardrobe.

They're very plain and functional but I quite like them that way, possibly because it's really satisfying using up old scraps like this (waste not, want not, right?), or perhaps just because they're so different to the normal colourful things I sew.

11 comments:

Joanna Johnson said...

What a great idea Laura, maybe some embroidery would be a nice touch (maybe a bright blanket stitch around the edge) although they look great plain and simple. The smell of lavender is so relaxing and should hopefully keep those moths at bay!

El Olor de Cádiz said...

HOLA!!!! PUES SI QUE SON FASTIDIOSAS LAS POLILLAS!!!! SIN QUE TE DES CUENTA, TE DEJAN SIN TU JERSEY FAVORITO. SALUDOS DESDE ESPAÑA.

Amikadeja said...

Good way to use old pillowcases! And those little pillows smell sooooo good. I just love lavender!

C said...

I made some lavender satchets out of a package of cheap cotton underwear that turned out to be the wrong size. Waste not, want not indeed! :)

YarnRoundHook said...

The only thing worse than finding the moths have been at your favourite jumper? Finding a moth in your bag of wool!

Unknown said...

A veces hay pequeñas cosas que dan grandes resultados ;D y que son más prácticas que algunas que llevan mucho trabajo.
Saludos.

Nic said...

I had to throw some woolies out the other week because of moths. I'd never had that problem before, I'm now paranoid and have lavender everywhere!!

Unknown said...

Oh they do look wonderful and simple! Kx

A bird in the hand said...

I didn't know lavender had that effect. I love lavender and have it everywhere. Perhaps that's why the moths never came back (after chomping on my lovely cashmere scarf...

Cheers, Colette

Alex - The Interior DIYer said...

Does this really keep moths at bay Laura? I actually just cut up a load of lavender stems this past weekend and kept it in a tub. Oh I love the smell of lavender.

Bugs and Fishes said...

Joanna - yes, a bit of simple blanket stitching round the edge would look lovely!

I would definitely pretty these up a lot more if I was giving them as gifts, but as they're just for me and my sock drawer etc I'm happy for them to be pretty plain.

Xenia - fantastic! :D

Victoria - ugh, yes, I can imagine! Luckily I mostly use acrylic yarn (proper wool irritates my skin if I knit with it for more than about half an hour)

Nic - I've never had a problem with them before either. Very annoying!

A bird in the hand & Hydrangea Girl - yup, lavender is a traditional chemical-free way of deterring moths. It has the added bonus of keeping your clothes smelling lovely too :)