Wednesday 9 February 2011

A Ring-Bearing Owl

Have you been watching Big Fat Gypsy Weddings on Channel 4?

I've not seen it, but apparently on this week's episode one of the super over-the-top weddings included (wait for it) a real live ring-bearing owl.

An owl! Carrying the wedding rings! So nuts, and also so, so, awesome.

Of course, I had to make a felt version immediately and spent a happy evening last night making this fella and refused to go to bed until I'd finished him:


The owl is carrying a little felt envelope which opens up so you can put rings (or other important things that need delivering via owl) inside it.


This is one of those projects that makes the boyfriend think I've gone completely insane ("you're staying up late to sew a what???"), but I'm pretty chuffed with how it turned out!

I think the design & colours could use some tweaking though (I was in such a rush to sew him together I just grabbed the nearest felt to hand!) ... and it definitely needs the addition of a loop of ribbon at the top so he could be carried by a flower girl down the aisle & hung up for display later... hmm...

15 comments:

The undomesticated scientist said...

i watched it. the owl did indeed carry the rings. totally over the top and completely fab at the same time! cute version you've made though.

Anonymous said...

Your owl is very sweet. Lots of detail. Love it.

Katie said...

Um so this is AWESOME. Seriously adorbz.

Alex - The Interior DIYer said...

Damn, I can't believe I missed that episode. Your owl is amaze-balls though.

Tumus said...

Those gypsy weddings are so epic! Cute owl :)

Pair of Writers said...

Last week I looked out my kitchen window and found an OWL staring right at me!! I had never seen one before and it was so beautiful! I have a picture on my blog if you want to see it.

Your is very cute!

Pair of Writers said...

Oops - forgot the link:

http://www.goshery.blogspot.com

Mrs. Graffleseed said...

I'm getting married in Scotland and we're having our rings flown in by an owl. Looks so awesome in pictures!

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks the lovely comments everyone! x

Mrs Graffleseed - oh, how cool! hope the wedding goes well :)

lisbonlioness said...

I think this owl makes perfect sense; it escapes me how Mr Lupin can not see that!

Ana said...

I love your owl! Will you be making some for the shop?

Bugs and Fishes said...

Ana - yes, I'm going to make some of these for my shop in the next few weeks :)

Vesle Serena said...

oh wow! what a cutie!!

Flying the knot said...

We are Flying the Knot - Spirit is our Barn Owl who delivered the wedding rings, Angel is her daughter who was watching on. Thank you for the lovely comments and I think your owl felt is amazing x

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks for your comment, Flying the Knot! Great to hear you like my felt owl :)