Monday 17 September 2007

Crafting 365 / 34 - distractions from the task at hand

So yesterday I was determined, with 20 more of the felt discs to sew together, to push right through and devote as many hours as possible out of my Sunday to sewing round in little circles. But as is unfortunately the way of things, life rather got in the way...

First up, a very strange thing happened. I did my usual hour of housework and actually felt like doing more! Very odd stuff. Obviously, it is never a good idea to stop cleaning if you actually want to clean ... so I carried on cleaning. I decided that the house needed a really good vacuum, too, as we've only been doing one room here and one room there when there's been crumbs or whatever to hoover up. So I started vacuuming, and the Hoover (it is an actual Hoover) started melting!! Not good. It had got blocked up inside somehow and overheated and lo: melting plastic, but luckily no fire (phew). So there was that.

Then to cheer myself up I decided to use the nice organic butter I bought the day before to bake some brownies (yum yum brownies, yum). Halfway through this (butter and chocolate melting in a pan, me with the scales weighing out the dry ingredients) I discovered that my dry food cupboard was infested. Ewww. I managed to borrow some ingredients from a neighbour & finish the brownies but I had to chuck out a LOT of food (including 5 bags of flour, and assorted sugars and dry pulses) as it was all full of little crawling things. I still feel itchy just thinking about it. Horrible stuff. The brownies were rather nice though, very nice with a cup of tea when I threw up my arms in despair at all this domestic chaos and went for a quiet sit down in the other room...

Finally turning my attention to my sewing pile, the urge took me to start making some dragonfly brooches (on my to do list for just ages, since I made one for seaurchin in a swap earlier in the year) so I made a start on those... and only after dinner that evening did I actually do what I'd meant to all day and actually curl up with my sewing box and crack on with those circles. I managed 9 in all, they're pictured here with the in-progress dragonflies...
... in the middle of this large repetetive job it was a nice little break making the dragonflies (so comparatively small & speedy!). I am very looking forward to adding their sequins etc.

2 comments:

yumptatious said...

Crikey! That's quite a day! Well, I think the dragonflies are already fabulous but look forward to when you have 'gilded the lily'.
I hope your weevils have found new homes and that the Hoover God will look favourably upon you and let it suck again!

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thankyou! The molten Hoover has gone to Hoover Heaven (well, the local tip) and the kitchen cupboard is clean, hurrah! Glad you like the dragonflies :)