Saturday 15 August 2009

Ooh, the Big Knit is back

The Big Knit campaign run by Innocent Drinks is happening again this year, hurrah!

People knit tiny hats for Innocent Smoothie bottles, and for each promotional bottle sold money is donated to keep older people warm during the winter. It's a great cause, and a fun way to use up some leftover yarn or to learn how to knit if you've never tried it before (as a terrible knitter, I can assure you that they're very easy to make!).

I attended a very fun Big Knit 'Knitting Marathon' last year and a few years ago had a knitting marathon of my own, knitting all of these little fellas:I was stuck in bed ill with some horrible winter bug, and knitting all those little hats kept me very entertained. I had so much fun knitting all the stripes and my mum (who is much better at this sort of thing than me) kindly made all the matching pompoms:I doubt I'll manage to make as many hats as that this year, but you never know...

Instructions for knitting your own tiny hats can be found HERE.

8 comments:

Ticking stripes said...

Wow. You managed to do so many! I might have to commit to doing some of these this year... Lovely colours by the way.

Unknown said...

That's a ton of hats..WOW.very cool..I have tried and tried to knit a hat and my hands just won't get it...Maybe I'll give it another go...I guess that's what happens when you learn to crochet first :P

ai said...

Ohh thanks for the reminder. I made a pile last year but didn't get them posted in time :( Time to get restarted.

Dark Fairy said...

Do you think they would accept a few crocheted hats, I try to help with fundraising porojects, and could make ten to send to you Laurax

karenshopes said...

Oh those little hats are fab,they'd make good egg cosy's too.
Karen

Knit Sew City Girl said...

Hi Laura! Thanks for reminding me about the Big Knit. I will sign up again this year and hopefully be able to knit more hats this time.

Mary

Bugs and Fishes said...

Dark Fairy - no idea about the crochet, I'm afraid! If you want to send hats though, you can send them direct to Innocent Drinks - they put the address up for posting nearer the time :)

Robyn said...

Those little hats are too cute! xoxox