Thursday 15 October 2009

Upcycle Christmas with Folksy

The lovely people over at Folksy have announced a fun competition for all you UK-based crafty types: Upcycle Christmas."Upcycle Christmas is a competition for people to take second hand / charity stuff and make it into something ‘new’ and desirable to be sold at an online auction starting on the 7th December. All proceeds from the auction will go to Sue Ryder Care, the healthcare charity, our partners on the project"

You can use any second hand stuff you like to rework into your entry - which should be something you'd give at Christmas, not something Christmassy like a decoration. And if you happen to live near one of the participating Sue Ryder Care stores you can claim a ticket that's redeemable for up to 5 free items to use as the materials for your project.

Two of the judges have been announced already - Louise Roe and the always awesome Wayne Hemingway - and there will also be a "peoples choice" category for "your favourite items as chosen by number of favourites the item receives on Folksy".

I had lots of fun making my entry for last year's Folksy Angels competition so I'm hoping to have the time (and a good flash of inspiration) to make something this year too!

You can read more about the competition here or check out the FAQs here.

6 comments:

jamesb said...

Thanks for the mention :) I"m really plsd you like the competition. Hopefully we'll get some interesting things through. Let us know what materials you're working with...

Unknown said...

Hi Laura. I just found your blog and love your creativeness! I'll be following.
Have a fun Friday...Tracy :)

Lucy Jackson Designs said...

I loved your entry last year, you really did recycle. how are you going to top last year?

Bugs and Fishes said...

Aw, thanks Lucy! I've got no clue what I might make this year - might have to go charity shopping and see if inspiration strikes :)

Cakes Knits and Cosies said...

I've just seen this on folksy too - it's a really great competition. I have a few ideas, but not sure if they're innovative enough - I need to get my knitting thinking hat on!! Good luck - can't wait to see more listings. Lynne xx

Lula said...

I'm really excited by this! I'm taking part, and I can't wait to go and pick up my things! It's great to find other people who are participating!