Sunday 13 April 2008

365 / 236 - Experiments with Bracelets

I've been wanting to make felt bracelets for a while now, and yesterday I finally sat down and made some prototypes....
I thought first of all to try using a snap fastener to, er, fasten the bracelet and with a bit of wishful thinking dreamt of using some of my inherited supplies for them. Unfortunately the vintage snaps won't even un-snap from their cards - I shall just have to keep them in their packaging and frame them or something: oh well :) - and a modern snap fastener is still a little too stiff to work well with the softness of the felt. I was rather pleased with the look of the thing though! I think the orchids are so sweet and romantic-looking, I can't wait to wear one of these during the summer ...
Then I tried using velcro - softer fastening, slightly adjustable, great, right? Unfortunately it turned out to be a bit chunkier than the look I was going for (more a solid cuff than a delicate floral bracelet).
So today (day 237) I am trying out more ideas (this time experimenting with elastic) and my two "not quite right" prototypes will get listed in the shop at bargain prices... I just wish my hands didn't look so rough at the moment! All this decorating, etc, has made them so dry. Note to self: moisturise like crazy and keep my fingers crossed my skin becomes baby soft and lovely looking in time for the next bracelet-modelling session...

Oh, and late last night I made a quick attempt at a viola, in the same sort of style as my orchids. I didn't have time to turn it into a brooch, but here it is anyway:It's about 1 1/2 inches high. Here are the violas which inspired it. There are even more of them now than when I took that picture and they make me smile every time I see them!

2 comments:

Odds and Blobs said...

gorgeous!! i love the bracelets!

Bruised Orange said...

I love them. What about a small button closure?