Friday 21 December 2012

Winding Threads

As well as knitting simple blanket squares when I was a little under the weather, I wound lots of skeins of embroidery floss onto bobbins and filed them neatly in my thread boxes. I've bought quite a few new colours lately, so my thread collection has expanded from one box to two:



There's a big rainbow of "random" floss from all sorts of different shops and brands, and then the colours to the right of the second box are all DMC threads with the bobbins neatly labelled with the shade numbers.

I love how pretty and cheerful the boxes of thread look, and having the thread wound on the bobbins makes it much easier to find the colours I want in my stash and to use (and store) the thread without it tangling.

I'm also slowly winding bobbins with the shades from the embroidery thread pack I sell in my shops, so I can use them in some new product images in the spring...


This is one of those jobs that's been on my to do list for ages - it feels great to be finally getting on with it!

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Do you have one of those little bobbin winders? I get a peculiar thrill from using mine.

You've just reminded me that I haven't done that in ages. Christmas project!

Melissa said...

Wow, you know I've always resisted doing this but lately I've been needing to organize my stash better and have been doing it for beads and lace. And now that I see your post I'm thinking it does make it look nicer and easier to see/find the right floss, I think I just may start winding my floss onto the bobbins too. Practical organization really does help creativity flow better! LOL

Bugs and Fishes said...

Natalie - I don't have one yet, but I'm planning on buying one sometime this year!

Melissa - It does make it MUCH easier to choose and use the threads you've got. Especially when you've got a bunch of similar shades, it really helps having them neatly lined up so you can easily pick the perfect one for your project :)

Silly Little Sheep said...

Aaaaah!!! This gets me mad! I am a thread maniac as well, only less organized. Where cna I get a box like this?

Bugs and Fishes said...

Sorry for the late reply! I used to sell these boxes in my shop but you can find some similar ones here: http://www.sewandso.co.uk/man29-142.html