Tuesday 29 January 2008

365 / 163 - From Sketches to Patterns to Prototypes

We had a super-slow day at work yesterday and I spent rather a lot of time sneakily sketching British butterflies:
Of course, I was then so excited at how well some of the sketches had turned out that I had to try some out the moment I got home...
... the yellow one is a Brimstone butterfly, the blue one is Adonis Blue and the in-progress white and orange one is a species called Orange-Tip. I also tried out petal shapes for daisies, and (seriously thrilling) made a prototype Bluetit which is on the wrong colour background and lacking an eye! The idea for the bluetit (and, in fact, for a whole range of British garden birds) came when I was idly sketching possible shapes for a robin back in December, and it is wonderful to have fully realised the idea. Here's a shot of all the sketches I made - initial robin sketches, a sketch working out how to represent bluebird markings, and then a neater drawing to base a pattern - along with the pattern pieces and prepared felt shapes:
Then here's the final drawing and the finished applique for comparison:
He's turned out to be rather a cutie I think, and I'm very glad as the bluetit is one of my very favourite birds. The pages of my bird books will be well thumbed over the next few weeks I think as I'll be adapting the pattern for all sorts of different species....

There won't be any more 365 photos from me for a little while though, as I'm going away for a few days (leaving the boyfriend to fend for himself, haha). I shall still be blogging though, continuing my "featured crafter" series showing off some of the amazing talent in the Crafting 365 group.

PS Yay! My pansy pin got a mention in an Etsy article posted today about Colour Theory - apparently I "used the split complementary color scheme of green, purple and yellow to create a balanced color contrast". This is news to me but lovely to get the mention - particularly amongst so many lovely featured items! I have a sneaking suspicion that my pansy was on the Etsy front page with those items the other day but it sold and I missed it... ah well. Nice to see it turning up on the FP this afternoon anyway:

8 comments:

Jenn Maruska said...

It's wonderful to read about your process and to see your sketches!

And I love those leaves in your last post : )

Cindy Is Crafty said...

I love that birdie. And his name makes the juvenile in me chuckle!

Frau Zinnie said...

I love the bird! Can't wait to see more!

letitiah said...

tit-tastic!

Oh Mandie said...

I just love that little birdie!!

I cant beleive I've never stumbled upon your blog before!

marina said...

I have just discovered your blog and I have to say you that I LOVE your work, you have a great imagination !
I will continue reading your blog now that that I know that exists!

Anonymous said...

I love your butterflies. They're so pretty.

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

Thanks for sharing your process- it's wonderful to see something go from spark to fire.