Tuesday 10 June 2008

Masks are Fun! (C365/275)

UPDATE: Want to sew your own fun felt masks? You'll find a tutorial for sewing a felt bird mask (and lots more) over on my Patreon page.

Subscribe to get instant access to a growing library of PDF embroidery patterns and craft tutorials, and updates when I add something new!

---

Simply ages ago, when I was working on my first nerdy glasses disguise I made it a bit wrong and it turned out more like a mask than real glasses. "Oooh, masks!" I thought and went about taking the stitches out and re-sewing it to work better. Many months down the line, I actually acted on this inspiration and made some masks! Rather appropriately, I was spurred into action by having finally finished another pair of felt glasses... ... they've been languishing in my "work in progress" box for weeks now, so it was great getting them finished (two still languish half finished but I'm sure I'll get to them eventually!). Full of enthusiasm, I then tried a basic "bandit" style mask (ideal for bank heists, etc): Trying it on I had that same slightly gidding excitement I had trying on my first felt moustache: such hilarity! I couldn't resist trying animal masks, starting with a cat and a fox... ... and then venturing into three dimensions with a beaked tropical bird: I am loving the 3D thing, I've got to try some more of those. The basic design needs a teeny bit of tweaking (I may make them slightly larger, for starters), but I'm essentially happy with it and cannot wait to start playing around with more ideas or to get all these ones properly photographed and into the shop!

3 comments:

flying fish said...

Oh my gosh, I almost didn't recognize you!

Jennifer said...

those are all really quite adorable. They'd be perfect for a party :)

brad said...

Those masks look awesome!