Sunday, 13 October 2013

Less 365 Project Progress Report: Three Months of Decluttering

Back at the start of July I decided that I needed to do some decluttering and set myself the challenge of doing a second Less 365 Project - getting rid of one thing a day, every day for a whole year.

I found the first year a bit of a challenge so I really wasn't sure if I was going to manage this second attempt... but I've just finished the first three months and have cleared out loads of stuff! Just nine more months to go, haha :)

I've not actually been picking one item a day, but I've been decluttering in little bursts here and there and keeping a list of the stuff I've been clearing out so I can track my progress. I keep thinking "oh my goodness, I cannot possibly get rid of any more things!" but then all of a sudden I realise that actually I'm never going to read that book and this top no longer fits and I no longer like that band... and a few more things get added to the list.

I still have no idea if I'm going to manage the full 365 things but having that as a target is really helping me focus and be honest about the stuff I do and don't need, and to cherrypick the stuff I love from the stuff I've just kept for the sake of it.

In July I cleared out...

... some badges that I must have stored somewhere damp because they'd gone rusty, a broken pair of headphones, a mini suitcase my sister swore used to belong to her, a vintage cup that was pretty but also pretty useless, an old pen pot I don't use, a skirt I no longer wear, two worn out tote bags, a blanket with lots of holes in it, a t-shirt that shrank in the wash, several boxes of old paperwork, two empty storage boxes, a garden ornament that I don't have a garden for, a tablecloth I don't use, a vintage dress that never suited me, a broken clock, some kids books I don't feel sentimental about any more, some vintage embroidery I was going to sew something with and never did, a cross stitch picture I never got round to framing, two teatowels that were falling apart, a book I'm not going to re-read, a pair of trainers that no longer fit, a book I'm never going to read (and can get from the library easily if I change my mind), two ornaments I no longer like, a mechanical whisk which I've never used, a broken kitchen timer, and two DVD box sets of TV shows I don't want to rewatch.

In August I cleared out...

... a damaged purse, some mis-matched cutlery, another DVD box set I don't want to rewatch, a t-shirt that was totally the wrong colour for me, a shirt that was too small for me, an old t-shirt I used to use when I dyed my hair, badges from my days doing Brownies and gymnastics as a kid, a damaged old bag, a brooch with a broken clasp, three broken necklaces I didn't like enough to mend, a pair of shoes with a hole in them, a craft book I'm not going to make anything from, my least favoruite badges from my childhood collection, a plant pot I never really liked, an ugly craft project I made as a kid, a book I'm not going to reread, two serving dishes that I've never used, two storage boxes and a tin I no longer need, an ugly keyring, an old t-shirt, a bag I no longer use, some zines I'm not going to re-read, some magazines ditto, a teatowel I don't use, and a print I don't love any more (and I don't have enough wall space for the ones I do love!).

And in September I cleared out...

.... two recipe books I never cooked anything from, two kids encyclopedias and a picture book I no longer love, a book of comics I don't want to reread, a boring craft book I don't want to make anything from, an interiors book in a style I no longer really like, a letter rack I don't use, a battered pencil tin I used at school but haven't since, a DIY manual I'm never going to use, a box of Christmas baubles and some other decorations that were my least favourite in an over-flowing box of Christmas stuff, a box of board games I've never played, a slightly ugly vase, some coffee cups and a serving dish I don't use, three storage boxes and a tin I no longer need, a necklace I bought ten years ago and never wore, a bracelet ditto, a necklace I wore a lot when I was a student but haven't worn since, two records I can't play because I don't own a record player, three CDs I never listen to, a book of poetry I don't want to reread and a slightly battered old bookmark.

Seriously, how did I have all this stuff just hanging about in my house???

Here's to the next three months!


Laura Mason (Mason Bee) said...

Your going great guns! I've seemingly slowed down decluttering though I have some large pieces that must get rid of before the end of the year.

BugsandFishes said...

Thanks Laura! Getting rid of a few big things will make a big impact - possibly even more so than getting rid of loads of small stuff (which might not take up that much space / have been hidden away in boxes etc).

augcott said...

That's great and such an awesome way to do you've inspired me and I think I will start a "Declutter 1 Item a Day" project!

nickynackynoo said...

You're doing so well! Your comment "some kids books I don't feel sentimental about any more" has really chimed with me and made me itch to go and sort out some bookshelves. So much stuff I keep through sentimentality or not wanting to hurt people's feelings (unwanted gifts) but I really need to get over that!

BugsandFishes said...

Diane - Oh, I'm so glad! Best of luck with your decluttering! :)

nickynackynoo - I am very sentimental so I've kept hold of a lot of stuff over the years but I am trying very hard to look honestly at things and think "what are my emotions about this?". I sort through a box or a shelf and the things that still tug at my heart-strings go back in place and the others get considered for eviction.


Related Posts with Thumbnails