Tuesday 11 May 2010

Dye Job

Things are almost back to normal here - all last week's parcels have been posted with the help of my boyfriend (what a star) and all my shops have been re-opened (yay!).

Today I'm tackling some things which were on last week's to do list, including the next task on my make do and mend pile: re-dyeing an old and much-worn skirt.


Many many years ago this skirt used to be black but it's not any more! Hopefully with the addition of a nice bit of fabric dye purchased last week it'll be restored to its former glory and I'll look marginally less scruffy into the bargain.

7 comments:

M said...

I used to do this at school; I had a cord skirt from H&M that got dyed 4 or 5 times before it wore out! :)

Fiona said...

I always get nervous about dying things in my washing machine in case everything gets coloured for the next few washes.

cupotea said...

Oooh looks like a nice skirt from what I can see, I do like a bit of cord so I do. Good luck with the dye job.

Chloe said...

ohh i Love cord! awesome bag making material (^_^) I hope the skirt is a success! I've got jeans that need dying again, although i doubt im brave enough =P

Chloe x

Josie said...

Corderoys are one of my favourite fabrics, but I have to admit liking it when its washed out and a bit worn looking.

Fiona - my mum taught me to run the rinse cycle twice with nothing in the machine after dyeing things to rinse it out well.

Bugs and Fishes said...

Yes, I was a bit nervous about all the dye in the machine but after some rinses it seems to be fine... and I'll be doing a wash of black things first just in case :)

The skirt turned out great! I agree that cord looks fab when it's got that slightly worn look but the skirt was starting to look so scruffy when I wore it with newer black things. It looks like a totally new garment now!

Anonymous said...

Show us the after picture! I love before-and-afters!