Monday 6 April 2009

Quit Your Day Job

Confession time: I quit my day job last month! Eek!

I'd been happily balancing a part time job (lovely steady income and friendly co-workers) with running what we jokingly refer to as my "felt empire" ... but a period of bad health has meant that I couldn't manage to do both anymore. So I took the decision to quit my day job and concentrate on crafty things instead!

I don't like to talk about my health a lot, but I got started with this crafting lark because I was ill with M.E. and a bit bored and needed something to do with my time... It's wonderful for my health to be able to take each day as it comes, to work when I want and to spend entire days relaxing on the sofa quietly sewing when I'm feeling under the weather.

Even though it's not for the best of reasons it's also very exciting now being able to call myself "a full time crafter" and I hope that as I recover from my recent relapse I'll have lots of energy to put into all kinds of exciting new projects! In the meantime I'll be bumbling along as usual, making some things, blogging about them, and hopefully selling a few things every now and then, haha.

I'm taking a short break to get some sleep - away from an internet connection, so I can get some proper rest and read some actual books! I'm going to take advantage of the magic of Blogger's scheduling function to write a few blog posts in advance before I go away, so *fingers crossed* you'll still have some pretty things to look at while I'm gone ... but my various shops will be closed until I get back and emails & blog comments will also have to wait.

The boyfriend will probably manage to keep my pot plants alive, but asking him to run my shops and answer my emails for me ... well, that might be pushing it :)

PS check out the awesome leaving gift I got from my boss! Mmm, lovely owl:

28 comments:

The Dress Tree said...

Rest easy tiger!

Bagladee said...

Rest up we will see you soon.
Hugs Emma x

Cat McLaughlin said...

I want to say congratulations on going for it, if that's not out of order?! Take care & enjoy your little holiday x

Rhiannon said...

amazing owl :D

Wow for becoming full time, but please rest for a bit so you can have full-time enjoyment with it (which sounds a bit nagging nora - sorry :$)

what books do you plan to read on your break?
xxx

Laura Johnson said...

All the very best to you Laura! Take care of yourself, rest and relax, we'll see you and your empire back again soon xo

Unknown said...

Take care, and I admire your courage to choose what's best for you!

Laura said...

How exciting to be a full time crafter! Sorry to hear it wasn't a choice made under the best of circumstances.

Hope you have a great break & come back refreshed and ready to go. (Good to know about Blogger's scheduling tool, didn't know about it and I may need to use it!)

The Rainbow Room said...

Enjoy your rest, you will need all the energy you can get to run your "Felt Empire" fulltime : )

Jennifer Rose said...

have a good rest!

that is a great leaving gift to receive :)

Girl at the Bus Stop said...

I have M.E. too and came to a point where I had to give up my job. When I have sofa-bound days I am so glad I can still do what I love most - making stuff! Have even been thinking this unexpected 'bump in the road' may set me off in a new direction - and am so glad this has happened for you.

Take it gently, enjoy your holiday and ease yourself into your new full-time job! Best wishes, Kristen

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Take as much time as you need to truly get quality R & R! Congratulations..."Full Time Crafter"!

Stay Cozy, Carrie

Amanda said...

I'm sorry to hear that you have ME - it's a cruel illness as I know only too well. My son developed it when he was 12, missed two full years of school and never got back full time. 15 years later he's doing pretty well with his life, but still has relapses now and then. And then I developed CFS, a milder form of ME, just before I retired from teaching two years ago. And I started sewing and quilting for the same reasons as you, it's great to have something purposeful to do when you're forced to rest so much. So, have plenty of good quality rest and don't get tempted back to work too soon.

Kate Hadfield said...

Congratulations on taking the big step to run your 'felt empire'! I too suffered with M.E. (from late teens to mid 20s) - enjoy your time off and recharge those batteries!

A "cheery" disposition said...

Aww I love that that owl

Birdy Moola @ Oola Moola said...

Awesome owly gift.
So sorry to hear you haven't been well. I can completely understand, having gone through a very similar experience myself.

Relax and see you soon! xx

p.s. It's Wee Birdy here - just posting over at Oola Moola for a bit. You might like to check it out.

helen said...

How exciting to be crafting full-time! I hope it goes really well and the felt empire stretches its felty tendrils across the world.

My boyfriend has a mild form of ME, and that's bad enough, so I was sorry to read you suffer from it too. Have a lovely holiday and lots of rest.

x

Anonymous said...

Hi! You've been given an award.... http://blackberrycrafts.typepad.com/blackberry_crafts/2009/04/praise-is-great-the-lemonade-awards.html

:)

Molly x

treaclezoo said...

Get good rest, enjoy the burgeoning spring warmth & sunny days; wishing you strength, health and complete recovery x

Crafty Koala said...

I'm excited and sympathetic in equal measure. Congrats on taking the decision to move into crafting full time, but get lots of rest. Lifes not worth stressing over. xx

Anonymous said...

Wow, I would have never guessed... Take care of yourself – I'm looking forward to being updated on your expanding felt empire when you're feeling better x

Jo said...

Congratulations on taking such a big step - I did after having my little boy a couple of years ago, and it's been hard work but great. I'm sorry it wasn't under the best circumstances, but I know that you will make the very very best of it. Enjoy your break!
There's an award waiting for you on my blog BTW!
Jx

yikes13a5 said...

I want to see the boyfriend run the business...

:)

Behind ouou said...

Of course, your health and your craft are two incredible priorities. Congratulations to you for such a bold move!

Best and warmest of luck in the continued growth and success of Lupin, and toward your health and stamina.

You're one of the greats & we are all here to support you! Rest up & take care <3

Tumus said...

You're such an awesome crafter ^_^ I'm glad that you got the chance to do this full-time even if it's not for the best of reasons.

Take care and we'll wish you a quick recovery!

Anonymous said...

Congrats and good luck! I'm going to have the "I want to go part time" discussion with my boss next week to persue my craft workshop business when I move next month!

miss aine said...

Hope you feel better soon. And Congrats on the big leap into self-employed. I hope it goes well.

Victoria said...

Lupin, sorry to hear that the job had to go, but I wish you the very best of luck with building the felt empire. You make some fabulous stuff, so long may it continue!

diana said...

Oh great decision! I made the same one 1,5 years ago and have not regretted it 1 single minute! Have a good rest!