Tuesday 14 April 2009

Curtains

I'm sure I'm not the only crafter whose pile of sewing-related chores - like sewing on buttons and mending tears - lies neglected while shiny new supplies and pretty fabrics draw our attention.

Lately though I've been trying to be good, and actually get some practical sewing done round the house. One of the bigger tasks is to line the assorted pairs of hand-me-down curtains in our flat - and I've made a start with the curtain hanging inside our front door.
It's the classic example of a hand-me-down that at first you pull a face at and think quite revolting, but as time passes you grow to love it dearly. I thought it quite vile when we first moved in, but now rather adore its yellow flock and blue stripe extravagances.

4 comments:

The Rainbow Room said...

I have curtains in my camper van very similar to this. I know exactly what you mean. At first they looked so ridiculous and now 2 years later they are just part of my "Valentino Vans" unique charm and warm, safe atmosphere : )

Amanda said...

Sadly we've been through all the hand-me-down curtains now and for our latest move are having to buy new curtains. I'd love to make them, and have made some for our bedroom, which will need lining later in the year, but the sad fact is that it's far, far cheaper to buy them. So it's going to be a slow process I think, buying a pair a month!

Anonymous said...

I'm the same, I've had a pile of summer clothes that need repairing cluttering up my bedroom all winter, because well it was winter and I couldn't be bothered but now the weather is improving, I to am trying to be good and I am now searching everywhere for the exact shade of Dylon dye I need, which no one seems to stock, to attempt to dye out bleach marks (which yes, I've googled and I know it may not work)

Helen Smith said...

You are good! I lived for years and years with unhemmed curtains... just in case the window changed length, you understand...