Monday 25 July 2016

A Wonderful Bookshop: Daunt Books

A few weeks ago I visited a very special bookshop: Daunt Books on Marylebone High Street.


I can't believe I'd never visited before, especially as it's so central - just a ten minute walk from Bond Street tube station.

The Edwardian shop at 83 Marylebone High Street was orginally an antiquarian booksellers, but for over 25 years it's been the home of independent booksellers Daunt Books (who have since expanded the store into no. 84, next door).

 
I do love a nice indie bookshop, and this one is especially lovely. This is the main room:


Talk about swoonworthy!

As well as being a beautiful shop, Daunt Books has a quirky twist: most of their books are arranged not by category but by country. Interested in Russia, for example? You'll find Russian travel guides, poetry, history, novels and biographies all shelved together.

This makes for a really novel (pun totally intended) browsing experience. They also have a more conventionally shelved fiction section, lots of art and cookery books and a children's section.


I will definitely be popping in here in future to browse and buy books on my London trips.

Visit the Daunt Books website for more info and opening times.

5 comments:

Vikki said...

Oh wow! I want to go there right now! Only the small matter of a 300 mile train journey each way...

http://thankfullga447 said...

Beautiful - I would love to visit and enjoy the afternoon there.

Anonymous said...

My favorite! It is sooooo beautiful and browseable.

bairozan said...

What an atmosphere - spending some time there would make me feel happy!

Bugs and Fishes said...

Glad to see it's not just me who loves a nice atmospheric bookshop! :)

Vikki - ha, maybe a little too far just to visit a bookshop! I went to a bookshop over 300 miles away a couple of months ago... I must get round to blogging about it sometime soon, that one will be much closer to you :)