Thursday 21 July 2016

A Trip to Seville: The Alcázar

My mum and I spent a few days in Spain a couple of years ago, exploring the city of Seville. I was slightly overwhelmed by how beautiful the city was and took a lot of photos. I finally edited them a few months ago (to make a photo book for my mum) and am slowly blogging about all the wonderful stuff we saw on our trip.

Today I'm sharing some photos from our visit to the Real Alcázar - a palace that's a World Heritage Site but still in use today by the Spanish royal family.



Parts of the palace were built in the 1300s, and it's been added to over the centuries. Between the gorgeous buildings and courtyards of the palace itself and the extensive gardens there is so much to see!

   
This is one of those places where you keep saying "wow" under your breath every time you enter a room, or turn a corner. The palace is filled with beautiful detail...


... and the gardens overflow with lush greenery.

 
   
If you're a Game of Thrones fan, you might recognise the Alcázar as one of the locations used in one of the recent series!

You can see why they chose it, can't you? It's like something straight out of a storybook.



It was really wonderful exploring the rooms, courtyards and gardens of the Alcázar and imagining all the people that have lived in and visited this special place over the centuries.

My photos hardly captured how gorgeous it was, and just looking at them again is making me want to book another flight to Seville.


Want to read more about my trip to Seville? Check out my posts about visiting the Metropol Parasol (aka "the mushrooms") and the Plaza de España.

2 comments:

Jacqui Wise said...

How beautiful. Definitely on my 'to do' list. Love the tiles.

Bugs and Fishes said...

So many fabulous tiles! I hope you'll be able to visit one day, it really is a beautiful place :)