Thursday 22 January 2015

A Flock of Felt Birds

One of the nice things about designing projects for craft magazines is that you get the lovely thrill of seeing your work professionally photographed and in print, but without having to wait months and months (or even years) until it's published, like you do in the world of craft books.

So while I won't be able to show you any of the destined-for-craft-books projects I've been working on this winter for aaaages (boo) I can show you one of the magazine projects I made as it's out now! Yay!

For the current issue of docrafts Creativity magazine (issue #54) I made...

https://docrafts.com/Products/Search/1/0/0/0/magazine

... a bird mobile! The birds are hanging from beaded threads, suspended from a real twig decorated with paint and felt "leaves".

 

This was such a fun design to work on, as it involved die cutting, sewing, embroidery, painting, threading sparkly beads and sticking stuff with a glue gun. Lots of crafty goodness!

Unfortunately I learned the hard way while making this project that if you string lots of small beads and then drop the string they go everywhere (oops!). If you fancy making your own mobile you can pick up a copy of the magazine at your local newsagent or online. Try not to be as clumsy as me :)

2 comments:

Manu said...

So cute! I love the colours you chose for the birds. The real branch idea is great too :-)

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks! xx