Saturday 23 August 2014

A Fabric Rainbow

I got a rainbow in the post this week - a shade card for Kona cotton solids (a range of plain coloured quilting cottons).

 

Picking colours online can be so tricky, especially when you need to match something exactly. The same colours can look totally different when photographed in different lights or when displayed on different computer monitors.

Having a sample card makes things so much easier. I loooove the DMC threads shade card I bought a couple of years ago, it has saved me from many hours of squinting at pictures in online shops and/or having to buy multiple shades in the hope that one will be "just right" for a particular project.

So, now that I am plotting to make more things with fabric I thought I'd treat myself to a Kona shade card so I can shop for exactly the shades I need without worrying whether or not they'll match.


Unfortunately it turns out that a new batch of colours have just been added to this range, which are not include on the shade card I bought. Oops.

Not the best timing on my part, but never mind. These 271 colours should be plenty to be getting along with... 


... mmm... so much yummy colour!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a handy thing to have! I tend to use Kona cotton because of the range of colours and because they are easy to find. I have to say that I don't like the feel though. They have a kind of finish on the fabric rather than allowing the 'cotton-ness' to come through. I dislike how this feels. I have not found a better reliable alternative though.
Sara

Unknown said...

Oooh look at all the pretty colours! What a treat, and so useful too :)

Bugs and Fishes said...

Sara - ah, that's interesting! For me, their huge range of colours is definitely the selling point :)

Bekah - yup, this will make me happy every time I use it!