Saturday 28 September 2013

Two Cosy Blankets: Finished!

It was nice and sunny yesterday morning so I (finally!) took some photos of the blankets I finished recently. I'm working on a "how to" post for knitting your own sky blanket so you'll have to wait a bit longer for pics of that one, but here's how the other two turned out...

First up, my "random squares" blanket:

 

This one was quite tricky to photograph because some of the colours in it are so dark the auto settings on my camera freak out a bit and make the picture much brighter than it really is... but I got there in the end! It hangs quite a way down one side in the photos simply because the bed is up against the wall - it's actually the perfect size to slightly overhang a single bed on both sides, covering a single duvet nicely.

 

The starting point for this blanket was a pile of squares I knitted when I was a teenager (which was a while ago - I'm in my early 30s now!) and I've spent a couple of years gradually using up leftover balls of double-knit yarn to make more squares to match.

 

I'm really pleased with how it turned out! I was worried about the dark colours looking a bit depressing and/or it looking a bit strange having some very pale squares in the mix, but actually I think the colours look rather fab together.


And second, here's the blanket I knitted from all the yarn I had left over from making my sky blanket:


As you can see, it's smaller than the other blanket and perhaps a little bit too small for the bed, but it'll make a great sitting-on-the-sofa-during-chilly-evenings blanket.

 I do like those colours together!


Believe it or not, I've got yet another blanket in progress - some of the squares I'd knitted in my teens were much smaller than the others and in much brighter colours, so I've been gradually knitting some smaller squares to match those too. I'm up to 47 squares now, so I've still got a way to go but I'll get there eventually. Oh, and I've got a quilt to finish too! Eek!

6 comments:

http://thankfullga447 said...

I just adore your knitted blankets, the blue, white and grey is so meaningful. What size needle do you end up with?
gasuski@mac.com

Charlotte said...

I'm so impressed with your neat squares!

bairozan said...

My personal favorite is the first one, an unbelievably good match of all those colors. They both look very cosy, indeed.

Kathy said...

These are so pretty. I love scrappy projects! My daughter is making something similar to yours only she is crocheting granny squares and then adding a border with black yarn. She wants to keep it going for a while and will probably end up with a king-sized blanket!

Rebeckah Austin said...

I have yet to know a blanket. I keep meaning to but never get aaround to it. I just have too many sewing projects to do!

Bugs and Fishes said...

ga447 - I don't know exactly what needle size these were knitted on, sorry! Maybe a UK 8 or 9?

Charlotte - thank you! Sewing them together definitely helps neaten them up a bit though :)

bairozan - thanks, I am so pleased with how the colours in that one work together. What luck!

Kathy - oh wow a king size blanket is a big project! I really want to make a granny square blanket sometime but I don't think I'd manage a king size one :)

Nilgun - thank you!

Rebeckhah - oh yes, there are always far too many projects and too little time :)