Tuesday 16 April 2013

Hurrah for Sewing!

Have you guys been watching The Great British Sewing Bee?

I wasn't sure how well sewing stuff like A-line skirts was going to translate into a TV show but actually I've been really enjoying it!

I don't think it 100% works - for example, I think the slightly rushed "how to make a cushion" segments fall rather flat & don't seem at all connected to the dressmaking theme of the rest of the show and the crazy time pressure of the tasks doesn't exactly convey the joys of leisurely Sunday afternoons spent lost in a crafty project. But the contestants passion for sewing really comes across (I especially love the segments that give you a peek at their personal creative style) and I hope there are lots of people watching at home who are being inspired to rediscover the delights of sewing, or to try it out for the first time.

Watching the contestants struggle to follow the men's trouser pattern in last week's show, I also thought what a great example the show is of how you should get expert advice when tackling new sewing skills: either taking a sewing class or buying a quality sewing book with clear step-by-step instructions and diagrams to guide you through the projects.

So I've been inspired to dig out a few sewing-themed books from my "to review" pile and, er, review them for you!


Some of these are vaguely dressmaking related, and some are not remotely - they are just lovely books about sewing. Either way, I hope you'll enjoy the reviews and maybe find something new to add to your wish list. The first review will be popping up on my blog tomorrow & the rest will follow over the next week or so.

7 comments:

Maria - A Playful Stitch said...

I've been loving the show too! In fact, currently excitedly waiting for it to start in about 5 mins!

I completely agree about the segment showing you how to make something at home. It's so quick that no-one could really follow it - someone without any experience in sewing wouldn't stand a chance.

But aside from that, I'm loving it - and am definitely feeling tempted to try a bit of dress-making! (And maybe look into a course first - as it's quite a bit beyond my sewing projects to date!)

Ally said...

I'm a real newbie to sewing and am absolutely loving it. It all looks so hard, even the tutorials, but I'm still finding it absolutely inspirational

buttercup said...

I think the problem with this show is that most of us expected a 'how to' programme
not a this is what we do one. Cannot fault the contestants for their enthusiasm however there is a huge space for a 'this is a needle and this is the thread' style of programme much after the style of the late lamented Bazaar and PebbleMill

Gill said...

I think the show is great - perhaps they'll make a longer series next time!
I was in the charity bookshop after the first episode and they said that loads of people had come in looking for sewing books!
I look forward to your book reviews Laura - you know I always enjoy them!

LindyLaine said...

I have to admit I wish they wouldn't rush the try this at home segments. Its been years since I last did any dress-making and I'd hate to have to do any under the kind of time pressures the contestants have to deal with, but I really enjoy watching the programme.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with the 'make this at home' segement. It's a shame they didn't back it up with a tutorial on their web site.

I really love the show and it seems to be inspiring so many people to do a spot of sewing

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone!

It's great to hear what you thought of the Sewing Bee - I'm very happy to hear they're making a second series of it. The more sewing on TV the better, I reckon, and it'll be interesting to see if they tweak the format slightly or keep it the same.