Halloween decorating doesn't just have to be for parties! Add a bit of seasonal colour to your decor this October with these geometric coasters...
The Halloween coasters are decorated with white, orange and yellow felt (the classic candy corn combo!) but this design can of course be adapted to any colours you fancy. The coasters are easy to sew and a set tied with ribbon would make a lovely hostess gift.
To make the Halloween coasters, you will need:
- Dark grey or black felt for the coaster bases
- White, orange and yellow felt for the diamonds
(I used 2.5 mm thick wool blend felt for the coaster bases and thinner craft felt for the diamonds)
- Matching sewing threads
- Contrasting thread for tacking
- Sewing needle and pins
- Sewing scissors
- The templates provided at the bottom of this post
To make each coaster:
1. Use the templates provided to cut out the following pieces: two grey/black bases, four white diamonds, three orange diamonds and four yellow diamonds.
2. Arrange the diamonds on one of the base pieces, as pictured, and pin them in place.
3. Tack the diamonds in place using contrasting thread and long stitches. Try and keep the edges of the diamonds flush with each other and the points lined up neatly. Remove the pins.
4. Sew each diamond in place with small whip stitches and matching thread. Work outwards from the central diamond, sewing the felt pieces flush with each other and making sure you sew a stitch over each point to help keep the shapes neat.
5. Remove the tacking stitches. Your coaster top will look something like this:
6. Place the decorated top and undecorated bottom pieces of the coaster together.
Join the edges together with blanket stitch in matching grey/black thread. Take care not to sew over the points of the diamonds as you pass them. Finish your stitching neatly at the back.
Your finished coaster will look like this:
Click here to view the template sheet in a new window or tab. Make sure you're viewing it full size, then print at 100%.
This tutorial is for non commercial use only: you can use it to make as many coasters as you want for yourself or as gifts, but please don't make any for sale. You may borrow a couple of photos if you want to blog about this project, but remember to credit me and link back to this page on my blog, and do not reproduce my entire tutorial / share my templates on your site. Thanks!
Click here for lots more free crafty projects.
For even more crafty goodness, check out my books: Super-Cute Felt and Super-Cute Felt Animals.