Friday 4 July 2014

A Pompom A Day

Following on from my 2012 project to knit a sky blanket (inspired by this awesome sky scarf project) I've decided to pompom the sky - making one pompom a day for (almost) a year to record the weather and create a fluffy record of a year in my life.

Here are (most of) the pompoms from the first month:

 

The colours of each pompom are based on how the sky looked at midday that day.

I'm using the same yarn that I used for the sky blanket, but instead of knitting with two strands of yarn I'm making pompoms with six strands... so there are lots of possible colour combinations!


Because of the different colour combos, I need to keep track of which pompom is from which day...


... so I'm tying a little paper "tag" (a small bit of paper with a hole punched in it and the date written on it) to each pompom.


I'm keeping my day-to-day list of colours as a back-up in case one of the tags falls off, but the tags should make it nice and easy for me to put the pompoms in order when I reach stage two of the project. 

In the meantime, the pompoms are proving lots of fun to make and I think they look rather wonderful together!

7 comments:

Fiona (fizzi~jayne) said...

What a great idea! I love Pom Poms and such a quick way to document, in this case the weather, in a visual way :-)

dropstitch said...

But what is stage two of the project, I wonder? My two-year-old has made a special request for a pom pom rug for her new bedroom, so I'll be pomming (?) like mad soon too. Thank goodness for my magical pom pom maker! (It's just a two-pronged plastic thing to wrap wool round, but it's still much less fiddly than cardboard circles)

Sarah-Jane Ireland said...

What a wonderfully quirky idea! The colour combinations are gorgeous too♡

Unknown said...

I am so excited to see phase two of this project, I love the look of the Pom poms!

I started a Pom Pom advent calendar but didn't keep up with making them. I was attaching them to an embroidery hoop and I loved seeing them all together!

Unknown said...

This is such an interesting project. They look so great next to each other . I'm so intrigued to see the overall effect when it's finished.

bairozan said...

Love pompoms and can't wait to see what you make with them!

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I am loving this project so far :)

Stage two is currently "in development"... I'll share it as soon as I can!

Rebecca - love the idea of a pompom advent calendar :)