It's time for the final ornament in the series - hurrah! Last but by no means least, today I'm sharing a tutorial for sewing a felt bell ornament that actually jingles.
docrafts Creativity magazine last year.
You can make the whole set of ornaments, or just mix and match your faves. As well as the bell I'm sharing today, you can also make a snowman bauble, a reindeer bauble, an angel bauble, a Santa bauble, a sparkly star, a stripey stocking and a button heart.
- templates (see the bottom of this post)
- royal blue felt
- royal blue and white sewing thread
- white embroidery thread (floss)
- a mini ribbon bow and matching ribbon (I used glitter bows and silver ribbon from the docrafts Create Christmas range)
- silver seed beads
- a silver jingle bell
- white narrow ribbon
- toy stuffing
- sewing scissors
- sewing needles and pins
To make the jingle bell:
the templates provided to cut out two bell shapes from royal blue felt.
Cut ribbon piece a few cm wider than the bell. Sew on with tiny white whip stitches (or
line of running stitch at edge) folding over ends. When fold ends over,
sew at back with small whip stitches sewing into the felt not through
3. Two rows of silver seed beads. Sew with double thickness of blue sewing thread. I used 5 beads for top and 6 for bottom row. Start row in centre to help get lines up neatly. Then bottom row sewn between gaps in top row.
4. Add mini bow with a few stitches in centre - to attach the silver bow I used white thread.
a 15cm (6 inch) length of narrow
white ribbon. Fold the ribbon into a loop and sew the ends to the top of the undecorated bell shape. Use whip stitch and blue
sewing into the felt not through it.
the front and back bell pieces together so the ends of the ribbon are
sandwiched between the two layers and the loop sticks out the top of the ornament.
Hold or pin the two bell pieces together
and blanket stitch around the edge, using half strands of white
embroidery thread and folding the bow forwards as you sew behind it. Start at the top right corner of the stocking, stitch most of the way round and leave a gap for stuffing.
Tip: sew along the bottom edge of the bell last so you have a straight edge open when stuffing the ornament.
Add small pieces of stuffing to gradually fill the star, stuffing it
lightly so it's evenly filled but still very squishy. Then sew up the
gap with more blanket stitches and finish your stitching neatly at the
8. Add jingle bell. Double thickness blue thread. Sew in between layers so knot is hidden, then sew out. Sew through bell a few times to secure then finish your stitching at the back.
For more Christmas ornament patterns and other crafty tutorials, click here to visit my tutorial archive.
For even more crafty goodness, check out my books: Super-Cute Felt and Super-Cute Felt Animals.
Click here to view the template sheet, make sure you're viewing it full size then print it at 100%.