And then, with a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach, I realised that some of the squares were the wrong size. In fact, quite a lot of them were. Sometimes you can get away with this when making a patchwork blanket - e.g. one slightly smaller square will stretch a bit when you sew it to surrounding larger squares - but lots of squares that were the wrong size? all sewn in colour rows so there'd be lines of large squares and lines of smaller ones? Disaster!
I don't know exactly how this happened, but I suspect it has something to do with the fact that knitting blanket squares is what I do when I'm ill or tired-out at the end of a long day. Half-awake, germ-filled noggins are bound to make mistakes, I guess! Ah well.
There was nothing for it but to start unravelling the squares so the can be re-knitted to the correct size. Such a faff but it can't be helped (without the invention of time travel) and after all these hours of knitting I want this blanket to look great, not all lumpy and mis-shapen because I couldn't be bothered to correct my mistakes.
As you can see I've got quite a few squares to re-knit before I can start adding all those yummy new colours to the blanket. And don't be fooled by those "finished" pink squares. They're just squares I've not got round to unravelling yet!
I have, at least, managed to knit one square with one of my newly-purchased colours. Hurrah!
I'm going to be double-checking the size of my squares very carefully from now on...