Friday 28 August 2015

The Big Hoot: Owl-Spotting in Birmingham

For my summer holiday this year I spent a week in Birmingham. I'd planned lots of fun stuff to do during my trip (including visiting lots of museums and spending a crafty day at the Festival of Quilts)... but what I wasn't expecting was for the city to be full of giant owls!

 

It turns out that Birmingham has been fillwed with a flock of owl sculptures, for an art trail called The Big Hoot. Just like the Shaun in the City trail that I've enjoyed following in London & Bristol this year, the Big Hoot is a free trail of quirkily-decorated sculptures to raise money for charity.

89 giant owl sculptures are on display across Birmingham until 27th September, along with an assortment of smaller owls decorated by local schoolchildren (as part of The Little Hoot).

I resisted the urge to spend half my holiday following the trail (I know from my experience Shaun-spotting that I'd get hooked all too easily!) but I couldn't resist taking photos of all the owls that I spotted on my travels during the week. It was really lovely to see the different designs - they cheered up even the greyest of days - and it was great to see so many people (young and old) owl-spotting and takings lots of happy owl selfies.

Want to see some more giant owls? Of course you do! :)

As well as Wise Owl, New Street Flyer, Active Owl and Swirly Whirly Birmingham Owl-land (above), I also saw... 

Alf the Penguin Owl: 


Jewellery Owl and Ozzy's Owl:


Tick-Tock and Big Brown Inky Owl:


Re-tail and Our Happy Hospit-owl:

 

Lots of Little Hoots on display at Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery (so much fun!):


The Ship:

 

I See a Darkness and G'owl'd:

 

 Beorma:

 

Selfie:

 

(I am slightly embarrassed to admit that I was a bit baffled by that owl being called "Selfie" but, of course, it's decorated just like the famous Selfridges store behind it. I clearly needed some more caffeine that morning!)

Starlight and Unity Within Diversity:

 

So many fun and colourful owls.

My favourites were this delighful two-sided design, The Owl and the Pussycat (so cute)...


... and the pretty, patterned, Bejewelled Owl (you guys know I'm a sucker for anything turquoise).

 


The Big Hoot runs until 27th September. Visit the website to see all the owls, get more info about the trail and download trail maps or the Big Hoot app so you can do some owl-spotting of your own!

4 comments:

Ariadne said...

I love them! I'm sure my favourite ones would be the last two ones too!AriadnefromGreece!

Kat said...

Gorgeous! I love a fun sculpture trail - we had a great time spotting the GoGo Dragons in Norwich

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a neat city-wide exhibition. It's obvious the community really got involved with the owls.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Bugs and Fishes said...

Glad you guys enjoyed the post! Trails like this are so much fun, aren't they?