Sunday, 17 May 2015

A Springtime Stroll through Henley-on-Thames

After a couple of very busy Nice Days Out, I wanted something a bit more chilled out for my next day off... so I had a lovely long lie-in then took myself and a good book off to Henley-on-Thames.

Henley is quite local to me, but is one of those places I'd never been to before starting on my Nice Day Out trips. Last time I visited it was winter, the river was very high and there was actually a lot of flooding a few days later. This time round spring was in full bloom and the whole town was looking rather lovely. The perfect backdrop for a relaxing day off!

I started at the River and Rowing Museum, which is free to visit with an Art Pass (and how I found out about the Art Pass in the first place - hurrah for museum websites that actually tell you about available discounts).


I've explored the museum before, but wanted to go back to see their current exhibitions - wonderful illustrations by Arthur Rackham, some gorgeous handmade furniture, and a fab collection of photos of artists and craftspeople working in their studios. All good stuff! It was also a joy to revisit the delightful Wind in the Willows exhibit where the story is told with charming models.

I then walked along the river towards the town centre...

 

... enjoying all the riverside sights, including a nesting swan complete with "do not disturb" sign!

 

After lunch I strolled around the town, admiring the old buildings and the assortment of colourful front doors, and popping into lots of bookshops, art galleries and and charity shops along the way.

 

I also called in at the Old Fire Station...

 

... which has been converted into a gallery space, then hosting the local Craft Guild's spring exhibition. Always nice to be able to squeeze in a bit of craftiness to my days out!

Finally, I retired to a cafe with my book for a leisurely cuppa and tasty piece of cake before heading homewards.

5 comments:

Cream Linen said...

Thank you for sharing this stroll around Henley with us.
Have a nice day!
Tina

bairozan said...

I could almost see myself sitting on the bench under the tree,reading a book and enjoying the cool shadow and the view!

Bekah said...

Looks like a lovely day! It's always nice to go out and explore a new place :)

Steph said...

I am honestly jealous :) Can't remember when was the last time I went out for a walk like this. And after this comment guess who's leaving home for another 12h workday ;D

BugsandFishes said...

Thanks for the comments everyone, it's great to be able to share my trips with you all via the magic of the internet xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails