Thursday 31 May 2012

Creative Block

Things have been pretty quiet round here this month.

This is mostly due to me suffering a major episode of creative block and not feeling in the mood to do much crafting at all. I've been knitting the squares for my sky blanket but that's about it, so there just hasn't been much to mention.

As I've had some family stuff going on, and we've had some lovely summery "laze about eating icecream" weather I've sort of rolled with it, and just let myself take a bit of time off in the hope that I'd wake up one morning refreshed and unblocked and excited to make stuff again. This strategy hasn't been the huge success I'd hoped it'd be, but it's definitely been good to take a bit of time off and the itch to start sewing is starting to come back again slowly (it just feels weird having not sewn anything for so long!).

With a bit of luck you'll hopefully start seeing some actual crafting popping up on my blog in June. Fingers crossed! If you've got any tips for beating creative block, please do share them in the comments, they'll be much appreciated :)

In other news... it's the Queen's Diamond Jubilee next week so here in England we're being bombarded with stuff covered in Union Jacks and other Jubilee-themed imagery and we get to celebrate with a four day weekend. It's pretty hard to escape the Union Jack at the moment, it's everywhere! Check out the Union Jack -filled guide to our local carnival , featuring a ton of red white and blue & what may well be the world's worst, most illegible font:


I am genuinely amazed that anyone thought that font would be a good idea!

Anyway... being self employed, I don't get any extra time off work this weekend, but the Bank Holidays do mean that the Post Office will be closed on Monday & Tuesday so any orders in my shop will take a bit longer than usual to be sent out. Normal service will resume on Wednesday.

8 comments:

C said...

I will be experiencing my first neighborhood Jubilee block party this weekend and I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully it won't rain!

Jacqui Wise said...

Sorry to hear you've not been feeling yourself but the 'family stuff' is probably the cause of your lack of creativeness. Sometimes just starting a new project might be enough to get you going again. Often if I have a low mood and lots on my mind I reluctantly start some gardening or go to my allotment and before long I feel better. Family worries or concerns make you prioritise what's most important in life and hopefully if things improve here, your enthusiasm will hopefully also. Take care of yourself.

WinnibriggsHouse said...

I think you are doing exactly the right thing already! I have been there and I think we all need to recharge our batteries sometimes by taking a step back. Deal with the priority issues and often the forced break is enough to inspire you again.I do hope there is a happy outcome all round for you.

Tumus said...

I like to browse fabric shops or physical places of art exhibits. Sometimes just hanging about these places gets ideas going. For me it's just the lack of willpower to get the things done that float in my head so it's a good thing I use an idea book to jot and sketch. I know you've already got a few of those :) And really having a long break isn't so awful. It might feel weird to do something other than sew for a while, but it's just your mind telling you to take a break while it recoups from all the thinking and problem solving.

Sarah Lou said...

Sorry that you've been having a less than inspired time, Sometimes I think it's best to sit back and rest for a bit, I usually find that as soon as I properly relax, I get ideas that grab me and say "you MUST do this NOW!"

Jessica said...

Sometimes you can just burn out with too much crafting and taking a break is just the right thing to do... it'll come back :-)

Yes there are Union Jacks absolutely everywhere... if it is possible to stick a union jack on something then someone has :-)

Anonymous said...

Don't fight the block! It's you mind telling you that a bit of a break is needed to rejuvenate and start fresh. Just go with it, look at nature, books, magazines, life, and, when it ready, the block will disappear and you wonderful creativeness will return.

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks for all your suggestions, folks! My creative juices are (slowly) starting to flow again...