Sunday 5 September 2010

Knitting Exercises

I've been doing lots of knitting in the evenings recently, not working on a specific project but instead practising different stitches and trying to learn new things. I have been getting in quite a muddle at times but oh how satisfying it is when you finally work out what you've been doing wrong and your knitting transforms from a big old mess into a lovely pattern!


This week I made my first attempt at colourwork, which I'm really excited about.


My first attempt (on the left) had serious tension issues and came out all puckered but just getting the argyle pattern right felt like an achivement. The second attempt isn't perfect but it's much improved! I am now dreaming about hand-knitted argyle cushions...

12 comments:

Glenys said...

Nice. All the best in making your dream come true.

Unknown said...

As always so original.
Cool.
Big kiss, D

Carrie said...

I like that dream - look forward to seeing some on comfty sofa soon!

Catherine said...

I love argyle - but have been too scared to try it - thanks for the inspiration!

magna rx said...

Great way to learn how to knitt!

The undomesticated scientist said...

well done on the colour work. the best i can manage is changing at the end of a row for stripes!

Tumus said...

That argyle looks nice! I can't ever read those knitting patterns but you're definitely getting better!!

Claire Vincent said...

That's a great idea with the argyle pattern, I can totally respect the dream. I've always wanted to make a chunky grey cable cushion but never got round to actually starting it.
Maybe this will kick start me!
c x

Annette W. said...

WOW! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Wow, they're fab. Love the argyle - I wouldn't know where to start with that!

Unknown said...

I love this! Do you have a pattern and know where I could get one?

Bugs and Fishes said...

Keri - I used the stitch guides from a book called "How to Knit" (published by Hamlyn). It's out of print now but you might be able to get a copy second hand?

There are probably lots of other knitting books with similar sections, eg this book http://bugsandfishes.blogspot.com/2012/04/book-review-201-knitting-motifs-blocks.html includes lots of sample blocks to knit with different stitches and patterns