Monday, 20 April 2015

Free Flower Embroidery Pattern

Today I'm sharing the embroidery pattern for the flowers I stitched recently - scroll down to the bottom of this post for the free pattern!

 

My flowers were stitched in (and are shown photographed in) 6 inch embroidery hoops. To stitch each flower I used half strands of embroidery thread / floss (i.e. 3 strands from 6 stranded thread) and stitched the whole design in backstitch, sewing small stitches around the curves.


I chose a plain backing fabric, holding the pattern and fabric up to the light (I secured them both to a window using washi tape!) and tracing the design onto the fabric with a sharp pencil. If you're stitching on dark fabric or on felt, use tissue paper as shown in this project.

I stitched two versions of the flower. One simply follows the pattern as it's drawn. I used olive green thread for the leaves and dark plum thread for the flower outline, with a dusky rose pink for the inner line and a salmon pink for the flower centre.


For the other version I stitched the pattern then filled in the shapes with freehand lines of backstitch.

I used two shades of coral to sew the flower outlines, then filled in the petals with lines of peach. Similarly, I stitched the leaf outlines with a leafy green then used a lighter spring green to fill them. The stamens are stitched with a light, bright orange - I worried at first that this orange didn't stand out clearly enough from the backround stitches but actually now I'm very happy with the finished result. 


Which version will you stitch? :)

Click here to view the pattern, then print it at 100%. I've included a scale line so you can see if your pattern has printed out at the "correct" size, but of course you can enlarge or reduce the pattern if you prefer.


This embroidery pattern is for non commercial use only: you can use it to stitch as many flowers as you want for yourself or as gifts, but please don't make any for sale. You may borrow a few photos if you want to blog about this project, but remember to credit me and link back to the original source, and do not reproduce my entire post or share the pattern itself on your site. Thanks!

P.S. Fancy making a felt version of this flower? Click here for the tutorial

http://bugsandfishes.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/how-to-felt-flower-hairband.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura, I like Ve your work. Do you need to stabilise the felt before cutting out?
Thanks
Rosemary

BugsandFishes said...

Hi Rosemary - thanks for your comment!

You don't need to stabilise the felt, but I would recommend using a sturdy felt e.g. 100% wool felt (which is what I used to make my flowers).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails